Calendar Poodle SAL

Friday, June 30, 2017

Lily of the Valley

Hi friends! I finished up Lily of the Valley by Blackbird Designs. This is a pattern I borrowed from our friend Catherine.
Catherine changed a few colors on her piece and inspired me to do likewise. I made mine more pink. Shocking, I know! The pattern calls for WDW floss and I only used one of those that was called for!! Caper. I used VMSS flosses and DMC for the remainder.

This is the fabric I backed this pillow with.
Do not even ask me about the trim. I am so disappointed with how I sewed it in. ugh. I sewed it in Wednesday night during a HUGE thunderstorm. There were tornado sirens going off. My headache went up  with the pressure system I guess. There is no other explanation truly. I did not even go outside that day, and it was not hot either. So I don't think I was thinking clearly through the pain. All I know is I turned the pillow inside out and my corners are all tight and curved?And I am not redoing it! I was going for this look I did years ago.

I won a giveaway from our friend Minnie. Isn't this a sweet pattern? Thank you again Minnie!

The latest book I read while walking the treadmill was The Photo Album by Marlene Chase. This is the third book in Annie's Attic Mysteries, a kind of cozy mystery series. Annie knits and crochets. Her best friend Alice cross stitches. If you like simple mysteries, in a small town atmosphere kind of books, this series is for you.

"No one seems to recognize the young man caught in the background of some old photos that Annie found in the attic of Grey Gables. But Mary Beth, owner of A Stitch in Time, turns strangely pale when Annie shows the photos at the Hook and Needle Club meeting. Annie is determined to find out who this stranger is and what became of him. His young, sad face haunts her and she feels compelled to unearth his story. Then disturbing information gleaned from old newspapers and a seemingly unrelated hit-and-run accident injuring her handyman's daughter, Emily, seem to bring danger closer and closer to Annie as she pursues the truth about the young man in the photos"
I am now beginning the next sampler in the AotH series, which is Happy Birthday. oooO what a pretty one it is!! Yes, lots of pink! 💕

Here is somebunny I watch out the kitchen window as I stitch. One of the bunnies born this spring. He is getting big now. He is munching a dandelion leaf here. Good for you Bugs!! (Yes, Brian named him Bugs Bunny ;) Since I can't get out to weed as much, I can use the help. HA!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend my friends! I am going to attempt the Fourth of July parade.🗽 If the weather cooperates. Happy Independence Day to my American friends!🎆 I hope you have a nice loooong weekend! 🇺🇸
Stitching and praying,
Vickie



38 comments:

Justine said...

I think your pillow is gorgeous! What soft, pretty colours. A great win too from Minnie. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Инна said...

Pillow was very beautiful! I liked the selection of threads! Vicki, I wish you good health!

Mii Stitch said...

A sweet little pillow finish, precious!!!

MartinaM said...

What a lovely little pillow, I like the colors you have chosen.
Greetings, Martina

CalamityJr said...

Your pillow finish is lovely; as always, you chose just the right shades of pink to make it your own. I'm sorry the weather is causing you more pain; hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the parade next week. Love your bunny helper! Take care of yourself, please.

Jenny said...

Hi Vickie...
I LOVE your Lily of the Valley finish! It is just so sweet! Lily of the Valley flowers were my maternal grandmother's favorite flower and because they were I had them in my wedding bouquet:)
Oh how I remember those tornado warnings!
Do you find these books from the Library? They sound like something I might enjoy:)
I hope you have a happy 4th and can enjoy the parade!
I am sending lots of hugs and lots of love your way and an email soon too! It has been a rough week after treatment and toe surgery...so I am just getting caught up....
Enjoy your day and weekend my friend!

rosey175 said...

Hooray for tornado sirens. Not. I think your little pillow looks fine! It's fun watching bunnies in the yard. We have a couple that play at the edge of our yard and the field, dancing in and out of the corn stalks. They're welcome to all the weeds they can find hah.

Robin in Virginia said...

Vickie, I love your Lily of the Valley finish. And I think the trim looks good. We have a bunny that has been visiting our yard and munching on the clover. Enjoy your weekend!

Carolien said...

Hello Vickie,

Oh come on! It looks lovely, that pillow of yours :) Enjoy!
The bunny is so sweet. I have lots of dandelions here, so please can you send him over for awhile?
Have a good 4th of July, my friend. I hope the weather is good for you.

Hugs across the ocean, Carolien

Manuela said...

Lovely little pillow. I like the lace border.
Happy Weekend.

butterfly said...

Love the sweet pillow such a pretty one, I also love the lace look.
Have a graet weekend hugs .

Linda said...

Congrats on the cute finish Vickie.

Linda

RJ said...

Vickie, your pillow is lovely...don't be hard on yourself because it looks wonderful. That was so sweet of Catherine too. Your chosen colors worked perfectly too. What a great pattern you received from your friend, Minnie. It looks like it will be so neat to stitch up. Have a great weekend. RJ @ stitching friends forever

diamondc said...

Hi Vickie: I think the pillow is perfect, we do not always like our own work, I love this pattern.
I like the backing fabric it is lovely.
Murphy looks so sweet, is he watching the bunny rabbit by chance?
I am not going to the parade this year it is so hard to get back home and I live a mile away from the parade route.
I hope you have loads of fun and eat some mini donuts.

Happy Fourth
Catherine

Kay said...

This is really pretty, love the colours you used. x

Ele said...

Love your lily of the valley, it's so sweet
and such a cute saying on the new chart, look forward to see that one finished!
Have a very good weekend

Margaret said...

Your finish looks beautiful! Remember, we are all our own worst critics. Sorry you were suffering through a headache again. :( Hope you can make the parade and enjoy it! Happy 4th!

Stasi said...

Such a sweet stitch and finish!

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Love your pillow,what a pretty design:)

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Your little finish looks great Vickie even though you're not loving it yourself. Happy 4th July when it comes.

Barb said...

Your Lily of the Valley pillow is very pretty. I would not take it apart either. It is quite lovely as it is. I hope you are able to enjoy the coming holiday headache free!

Hilda said...

It looks so cute, your little pillow. The colors you have chosen are perfect and the stitching too. And I would never have thougt that there is something wrong with the trim, if you have not mentioned it.

Happy 4th July, my dear friend - I hope the weather is perfect for you, so you can celebrate with your family!

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Hugs
Hilda

CJ said...

Your Lily of the Valley is beautiful. It remind me of the times I visited my Grandparents in France and they were growing wild in the filed near their home. Just beautiful.

I am on the 4th Maisie Dobbs book, I really enjoyed Pardonable Lies. We also have a new pup, a little Dachshund mix we picked up at the Humane Society. We call her Peanut, because she is the color of a peanut. She loves to dig and chew everything. She is a wonderful companion for our mini Schnauzer, Hazel.

Sally said...

I love your finished pillow Vickie. It is so pretty.

Have a wonderful 4th July.

Lili said...

Beautiful pillow! Love the soft colours!
Lovely gift! :)

Hugs,
Lili

Andrea said...

A wonderful sweet pillow. Beautiful colours. Have a good 4th of July.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely pillow finish and it doesn't matter if the trim came out differently to the other one, it looks fine!
Stay safe in the tornado.

Julie said...

Very pretty and delicate looking pillow, its delightful.
'Bugs' is so cute.

Brigitte said...

Your new little pillow is so beautiful. What a wonderful design - and of course there had to be some pink in it :)))

Penny said...

I think you did a lovely job on your pillow! Just beautiful! Hope you are able to enjoy the parade - have a wonderful holiday! : )

woolwoman said...

I think both pillows you showed were beautiful - I especially liked the BBD one and the backing fabric and trim so sweet! I hope you can get out to the 4th parade - it's dreadfully hot here - over 100 in the heat index but we'll go to my folks lake tomorrow and grill burgers and watch the fireworks over the lake as we do most every year. We are all so blessed - have a happy 4th- Mel

Maggie said...

Such a sweet stitching, we can be our own worst critics sometimes, your finish is lovely :-)

Carol said...

Such a sweet finish, Vickie! I do love your color changes (I think pink may be growing on me!!)...

Yikes--tornado sirens! I remember the one and only time I heard them was when we were touring a college for my middle son in Indiana... All of the parents from the east coast were freaking out (me included!) as we don't have them here. Hope your weather is nice and cool today so you can enjoy a fun barbecue with your family :) Happy 4th!

Astrids dragon said...

Your finish is beautiful, I actually like how the corners aren't showing!
Your giveaway win is great, looking forward to seeing how you finish it.
I hope you were able to attend the parade AND enjoy it!

moreofhim said...

I think your little Lily of the Valley is just beautiful! I'm so sorry you experienced such a horrible headache. I'm sure the combination of weather change and tornado sirens was horrible for you. Lovely pattern you received!! Prayer for you, my friend. I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July.

Blessings - Julie

Pam in IL said...

Just getting back to the computer for a few minutes and popped in to see your latest (and past) posts. Love the little pillow and the changes you made. Sorry that you've had severe weather and that your headaches haven't disappeared. I hope you were able to enjoy the 4th of July events.

Christina said...

Nice stitching. Sorry your finish didn't turn out the way you wanted. I say I'm not fixing something and then it bugs me forever then I get mad and fix it. Ha!

Sarah in Stitches said...

Gorgeous finish! It's so so so pretty! Don't worry about the trim - it happens. I hope you've been feeling better! :D